Aztech uses Non-destructive Testing (NDT) for the inspection of materials and components in order to determine if they comply with its customers specifications, code requirements, or to find out if they are defective. It is also used to determine coring locations.
By virtue of its ability to detect discontinuities and assess materials NDT has become Aztech’s primary tool set in locating performance-degrading conditions such as cracking, distributions of voids, inclusions, and unbonded or poorly welded surfaces. Aztech personnel have over 60 years of experience in all aspects of NDT.
Aztech offers: Ultrasonic Testing, Magnetic Particle Inspection, Radiography (X-ray), Dye Penetrant Testing, Positive Material Testing, and Visual Testing services. Our experience, mobile capability, safety record and our responsive and professional staff set us apart as the leader of NDT services in Southern Nevada.
Aztech uses ultrasonic testing (UT) for the detection of surface and subsurface discontinuities. To accomplish this, high-frequency sound waves are beamed into a material and reflections of the sound are analyzed by Aztech’s highly trained professionals. Aztech offers ultrasonic testings to its customers to test all solid materials, such as fine-grained aluminum, steels and alloys, composites and plastics — practically any solid material where detection of internal discontinuities or thickness measurements are of most concern. Aztech also uses it in the detection of interlaminar separations and regions that have been improperly processed or damaged in layered composite structures. Advantages of Aztech’s ultrasonic testing include :
- High sensitivity to discontinuities. For example, lack of fusion and incomplete penetration in welds.
- Highly portable equipment, which is well suited to field inspection and inspection of inservice structures.
- Application to a broad range of materials.
- In many cases, the ability to inspect very thick material, as well as the ability to detect discontinuities as small as 0.4 mm (0.016 in.) in diameter.
- In general, access to only one surface is required.
- Results are generated instantly with little or no processing time.
Aztech uses dye penetrant testing to enhance its visual testing (VT) service through the introduction of highly visible penetrating liquids. With the correct application, it will detect discontinuities ranging in size from the large to the microscopic. Aztech’s dye penetrant testing offers the following advantages:
- Is one of the more sensitive nondestructive testing methods for detecting very small surface discontinuities.
- Can be used on a wide variety of materials, including ferrous and nonferrous metals, alloys, fired ceramics, powdered metal products, and glass.
- Can be performed with relatively inexpensive, unsophisticated equipment.
- Is capable of examining all of the exterior surfaces of objects, even of complex shapes, in one operation.
- Is readily adapted to volume processing, permitting 100% testing.
- May be adjusted to provide various sensitivity levels through the proper choice of materials and processing procedures or techniques.
Aztech offers Magnetic particle Inspection (MPI) which is a non-destructive testing (NDT) process for detecting surface and slightly subsurface discontinuities in ferromagnetic materials such as iron, nickel, cobalt, and some of their alloys. Aztech’s Magnetic particle testing offers the following advantages:
- Low-cost, reliable method for locating surface cracks in ferromagnetic materials.
- Few limitations on size or shape of the part.
- Particle size and sensitivity can be adjusted.
- Particles may be in color or made to fluoresce under ultraviolet radiation.
- Can use 12 V power sources (car batteries).
- Fairly fast and simple application process.
- Visual interpretation of indications.
- Can detect subsurface discontinuities in some conditions.
Aztech’s PMI service is used for the identification and chemical analysis of various metal alloys. Aztech conducts its PMI services on-site or in its laboratory and assists clients to confirm that the materials they received are, in fact, the materials they purchased. Advantages of using Aztech’s PMI service:
- When working on something that is too large for transport.
- When a sample cannot be cut for routine testing.
- When material identification/documentation cannot be found.
- When a mixed lot is suspected.
Aztech’s visual testing (VT) service is the most widely used NDT method here is Southern Nevada. The presence of a multitude of potential problem areas can be identified by Aztech’s knowledgeable inspectors, assisted by devices that magnify, qualify or quantify the conditions being evaluated.